this shake! this shake this shake. but first, let’s talk tahini.
if you’re not familiar, tahini is a seed butter made from roasted sesame seeds. it makes brilliantly simple sauces + dressings, it goes on anything, and it’s criminally good right off of a spoon. I used to put tahini in smoothies regularly until one day I ran out and failed to replenish our supply (reasons, etc.).
our tahini famine lasted for months until finally we saw a whole bunch of it at our local grocery store. it’s been something like two weeks and I’ve gone through three jars of of it: tahini cookies, tahini buckwheat porridge, tahini pancakes, more tahini pancakes, and finally, after many tahiniless months, decadent tahini shakes + smoothies like this one.
this salted chocolate tahini shake is wholesome enough that we could rightly call it a breakfast shake. it’s one of my new favorite morning meals. and stay with me, dessert people, because if you skip the hemp and sub ice cream for yogurt, you’ll have a proper late-night treat.
I hope you’ll make this shake and love it like I love it. let me know if you try it. and tell me how else you tahini!
- ½ cup yogurt (dairy or otherwise), if you have it
- 3 tablespoons hemp hearts
- 1 tablespoon chia (optional)
- 1 or 2 frozen bananas
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- almond milk + ice, as needed
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons (or uh, way more) tahini
- maple or honey, optional
- place yogurt, hemp hearts, and chia (if using) in your blender carafe, followed by the frozen banana, vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt. add about a cup of almond milk and a few cubes of ice. blend, adding almond milk as needed. as it smooths out, add cocoa powder, sweetener, and tahini (all the stuff that would elsewise stick to the sides of the carafe) after the main body of the shake is already blended. flex your muscles and feel good about having made your clean-up easier. pour into a big pint glass and enjoy that thing!